Washing newborn babies is a situation where parents are very anxious. Especially for the first time, a family who is a parent is curious about how to bathe newborn babies. Washing a newborn baby is one of the things that new mothers do very hesitantly after birth. The reason for this concern of parents is the fear of unintentionally harming their newborn baby while washing it.
Baby’s First Bath
Experts recommend having the baby’s first bath after the umbilical cord falls off. After the umbilical cord falls off, it will be more appropriate to bathe the baby with the help of an experienced person or his father.
Materials Required While Washing a Newborn Baby
It will be very useful to prepare the necessary materials for washing the newborn baby in advance. The materials that may be required for washing the baby are as follows;
- a hygienic baby bathtub,
- a washing sponge or a soft cloth,
- soft baby towel,
- Bath mats in the form of a few thin towels or sponges,
- Clean clothes for use after bathing,
- Baby soap and shampoo specially produced for babies.
Washing Techniques for Newborn Babies
Washing your tiny baby can be a little scary at first. You can make your job easier by applying a few baby washing techniques in our article.
– The Baby’s Bathing Environment: First of all, the environment in which you bathe your baby is very important. Air flow from open places adversely affects your baby. Therefore, be careful not to open windows and doors.
– Room temperature; It is important that the temperature of the room where the baby will wash is 22-26 degrees on average.
– The temperature of the washing water; The water temperature at which the baby will be washed should be between 35 C and 37 C at the most. (You can test the temperature with a thermometer or with your elbow). The low temperature of the water causes the baby to get cold and if it is hot, it will cause it to burn. Therefore, pay close attention to the temperature of the bath water.
– The depth of the water; It is recommended that the bath water should not be too high and that it should be 7-9 cm high as the ideal height.
– Clean clothes and diapers; Prepare your baby’s clean clothes and diapers in advance so that he can get dressed immediately after bathing.
Washing Alone or with a Helper
– For the cleaning of newborns, warm water and a few pieces of cotton that are boiled in a small bowl and left to warm are required. First of all, while you are holding your baby comfortably in a towel, wipe your baby’s eyes with a cotton soaked in warm water. (use a different cotton for each eye)
– Wipe from the nose bridge outwards, without pressing too much.
– Then wipe the outer part of your baby’s ears and the back of the ears. Do not insert cotton balls into your baby’s nostrils and ears.
– Then wipe the baby’s whole face with moistened cotton wool; Remove any traces of dried milk around your nostrils and mouth.
– Then, put your baby’s head into the water you have prepared, starting from the feet, with the head above and above your arm, and close both ears with the two fingers of the hand you hold the ears under the head. Throw your baby in the water from the water in the bathtub with your other hand, soak his body, soak some baby shampoo in your hand and wash the baby’s armpits first, then the chest, abdomen, legs, feet and hands. If you want, you can do this with a soft bath sponge or a soft cloth. If you are going to use a sponge or cloth during washing, remember that you should do this with very delicate movements.
– While washing your baby’s head, lay it face down on your arm, pour water on the head slowly, then wash the head with a little baby shampoo with gentle movements. When washing your baby’s head, pour the water right behind his head so that no water gets into his ears.
– After the washing process, take your baby out of the water with slow movements, dry and dress.
Baby Washing Tips
Knowing some tips while washing your baby will make your job quite easy. It will also prevent your baby from having problems. Knowing the tips of baby washing provides great convenience for you when you need to bathe your baby alone.
– While bathing the newborn baby, prepare the clothes you will use after the bath in advance,
– Firstly, wash your baby with his face on the upper part and make sure to lay it on your arm during this process. While holding the back of your baby’s head with one hand, hold your baby’s bottom in the other hand and insert your baby’s feet into the water first.
– Since the skin of newborn babies is very sensitive, they become slippery when they come into contact with water. Therefore, be very careful when handling your baby.
– You can start washing your baby from his feet and genital area. Then wash the chest area with small movements and then wash the back by turning it slowly and very carefully so that your baby does not slip out of your hand.
– Wash your baby’s head last. Because your baby will not like getting water on his head. Although his body is well-behaved while washing his head, he may be cranky while washing his head. When washing your baby, always leave the head to wash for the last time so that the bath is not difficult.
– It is not very important to use shampoo when washing your baby in the first days.
– Bathe your babies every other day for the first 6 months. After the 6th month, you can wash by creating a certain order according to your family habits.
– Washing the baby by the mother is important in terms of strengthening the bonds between mother and baby.